About Me

My photo
As the 9th largest school district in the state of Ohio, the Hilliard City School District serves more than 15,500 students in grades K-12, through three high schools, three middle schools, two sixth-grade schools and 14 elementary schools.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

December 2, 2013

21st Century Schools or 21st Century Learning?

The following is an article from one of my favorite online sites, edutopia.  It is easy to get lost in this site for a couple of hours simply perusing the articles.  The articles are always written in such a way that I am prompted to analyze my own practices and philosophy.  In addition, they are typically short and to the point!  This particular article explores the concept of 21st century schools.  As I read this article, I found myself asking several questions.  The following are just a few:

- What percentage of our classrooms would fall under the heading "Classroom A" versus         "Classroom B?"
- If one attribute listed under "Classroom A" was removed from EVERY classroom in the Hilliard City School School District, how would education be impacted?
- If "rules were unnecessary," would our students be highly effective?
- How many of our teachers are using devices to teach like the attributes listed under "Classroom A?"
- If every student in your building had a device what would change?
- Do the papers/handouts that get distributed to our students and community reflect the attributes listed under "Classroom A" or "Classroom B?"

As you read this article, I encourage you to pose your own questions, and I challenge you to take a scavenger hunt of your school looking for the qualities listed under "Classroom A" and "Classroom B."  




5 Things I Want My Daughter to Learn in School

My selection this week comes from Jeff Delp, a Junior High Principal in Arizona.  Much like Jeff, I often find myself reflecting on the education I want my two daughters to have before they head off in to the "real world."  It's often hard for us as administrators to put aside everything we must balance on a day-to-day basis and view the education we provide in the HCSD through the eyes of a parent, or better yet through the eyes of the nearly 16,000 students that walk through the doors everyday.  As I read Jeff's blog, I found myself in complete agreement with what he identifies as the 5 things he wants his daughter to learn in school.  I can only hope the same for my two daughters and their peers.

Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment